People with limited reaching capabilities, find using a handicap reacher tool, is helpful when reaching for things that are difficult to get to such as dropped coins, dropped papers or mail, or even items inside cabinets and refrigerators.
What are Handicap Reachers and Grabbers?
Handicap reachers are devices designed to reach objects from a distance and bring them close enough to grab. These long handled graspers act like hands and fingers once you squeeze the trigger.
- 32 Inch Aluminum Handicap Reacher – Has a non slip gripping surface and is sturdy enough to pick up lightweight objects. Perfect for assisting with socks. Can extend a reach for someone who is handicap in that area.
- Handicap Reacher with 31 Inches – Lightweight reacher that is able to pick up a penny or even a can of vegetables. Take to your grocery, supermarket or food store to grab cans off the shelves. Handle is a perfect match for most users and is a good reaching device for the handicapped.
- Lightweight Foldable Grabber – Foldable grabber that can be stored in a suitcase for portable use in travel or vacations.
- Aluminum Reacher with Magnetic Tip – Handicap reacher with a magnetic tip and a jaw that can pick up cans. Magnetic tip works perfectly for picking up lightweight metal objects in hard to reach places.
- Rubber Gripping Jaws Grabber – This reacher can extend your reach by 3 feet. With a rustproof lining and a thin build design, this reacher can be used indoors and outdoors and fit into the tiniest areas. Supports up to 5lbs of weight. Highly recommended product!
Reachers come in several different weights and styles depending on the needs of the individual. There are reacher sticks for the handicapped but anyone with a limited range of motion or reach can use these reaching devices. Some of the different styles of reachers available are listed below.
- Aluminum frame reachers are lightweight and easy for the individual to manage.
- Rotating head reachers are perfect for picking up small items that are in hard to reach places.
- Reachers and handicap grabbers are great for individuals who need lift chairs and have trouble reaching things when they are seated.
- A handicapped person with limited arm mobility can use this to reach shelves and high places.
- Rotating arm handicap reachers are great for tight spaces where extra movement may be necessary for picking up an item.
- Suction cups on reachers aid in grabbing an item securely making even slippery items easy to pick up.
- Magnetic tip reachers have a magnet on the tip which helps the individual to pick up small steel parts like screws or bolts.
- Foldable reachers are handy when the individual has limited space for storing their reacher, or needs to take the reacher with them when they leave home.
- Most reachers utilize a trigger mechanism which helps to ensure a tight grip on the object being picked up.
Reachers can improve the quality of life for people with spinal injuries, arthritis, hip, joint, or bone pain, or simply those people who find using a reaching device is easier, safer, and less strenuous, than bending over to pick something up.
In order to reach and grab items in tight spaces, there are slim sized grabbers made perfect for the elderly. They come with a 1 inch width and have the ability to grab items that are 4 inches in diameter.
Listed below are a few ways people might make good use of their reacher:
- Picking the remote control for your television.
- Opening drawers or cabinet doors.
- Getting an object from a high shelf.
- Use it to pick up an item that has fallen in-between two kitchen appliances.
- Pulling up socks like some form of dressing aids.
- Bring one along with you when you go to the grocery stores and get those items at the top of the shelves.
- Since some come with magnetic tip, pick up nails and keys with ease.
- Taking a book from a bookshelf.
- Retrieve pens and pencils from the floor.
Handicap reachers can be purchased from pharmacies, grocery stores, online stores, and even flea markets. Depending on where you choose to buy your reacher, and the quality of reacher you decide on, the prices may range from $10.00 to $40.00. You can check out our list of recommended reachers and grabbers.